Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 02-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Default WPT Qualifier Advice

I played in a 100 person WPT championship qualifier where the top 10 of the tourney will compete in a 90 man satellite where the top three get a seat in the WPT championship plus 5000 spending cash.

I would like to know where my thinking was incorrect.

We started with 100 people and we each had 2500 in chips.
The blinds started at 25-50, but now were 50 -100 and we were around 35 minutes into the tourney with 70 players remaining.(remember you don't have to win, just get to the top 10)

I had 2100 of my 2500 left and there was only 1 real large stack at the table with around 7500. I was in the cut-off seat with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and everyone folded to a person in middle position who raised it 300. She had around 1800 left. The only person to act after me was the chip leader on the button. I reraised her 1000 making it a total of 1400 to go. The chip leader called on the button and she called. The flop came Queen [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] The original raiser checked as did I and the chip leader moved all-in. She called and I called.

I am new to the forums and if this is not the way to ask for advice or if I am leaving out any information please say so. I have read that you should not post your result of the hand until after people have responded.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: WPT Qualifier Advice

You put 2/3 of your stack in preflop. If you are going to call any flop as you obviously were, and you just have to play this hand (which I think you do). Either push preflop or raise it to about 700 (this will do about the same as a 1000 chip bet). Why do with 1000 what you can with 700?

I still think a push is the best idea, you might discourage the big stack from coming along and then you get heads up w/ the initial raiser. If the big stack comes along you will not be out of position against him to act post flop. Read the section in TPFAP about why AK prefers to be all-in preflop to understand why.

-sloth
Old 02-18-2005, 07:16 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

As far as pf play goes, I personally don't like the 1000 raise. This pot commits you no matter what happens.

If you believe a raise is in order and you see that betting 1000 is half your stack, just push all-in. I might have cold called with AK, having position over the raiser. In early position, I would definately raise!

As far as play after the flop, this is tough because you've already committed yourself. I don't know that you can get away from this hand.

If you weren't committed, I would fold as fast as my hands would allow. You missed the suited flop completely. Not only did you miss hitting the AK, you don't have a heart. So even if you were to draw an A or a K, you have to feel sick if one of them is another heart.

So over all, your hand is a BIG dog here. Hope this helps.

Pulp [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Edit: Hadn't read Sloth's response prior to writing this.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Thank you, it makes perfect sense and I knew that sort of raise was committing myself all the way, that is why I thought the chip leader would not get involved.

What happened was we both called and the middle position had Ace Jack off suit, but not a heart and the chip leader on the button had pocket 7's with no heart. No ace, jack, king came on the turn and river and he knocked us both out.
I really thought with his chip stack he would want to be more conservative since you only have to make it to the final 10 to qualify. I thought he would only call with the same hand or maybe a high PP.

I guess I misread him and I was out.

Thanks again for the advice, and I do have TPFAP so I will look up that section.