Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 02-01-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: An invitation to 2+2ers

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, we'll just have to agree to disagree about whether I'm asking people to do "work" for which they should be compensated, or simply asking for opinions in the spirit of the forum. It's a surprise to me that anyone would really see it this way, but you aren't the only person who's raised the issue. On the other hand, some people agree with me.

I'll state again -- I think we've written the best HE book for beginners. I'd value the opinions of 2+2ers. If anyone sees the book in a bookstore and skims it, or buys a copy for a newbie friend, I'd love to know what you think.

I'll also say that I've been a professional writer (journalist and now advertising copywriter) for almost 30 years, and I've often asked people to read and comment gratis. I've also done this many times for people.

[/ QUOTE ]

meanwhile, a very reasonable and simple request was made to provide a link to a pdf of a chapter or section of the book. this would cost you nothing and would be sure to get quick responses. it would also defuse the whole argument.

i anxiously await that link.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Tell me you work on RAW Deal.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM

We have had other people read the book, including Joe Tall who was kind enough to read the manuscript for us. He's got a free copy coming next time at Foxwoods.

On the inside of the binder I want: "Thanks for all your help in the past, Joe. You are too kind. Love, Randy", thanks Carl.

Sincerely, I hope all things are well in this new year and I've sharpened my Stud game more so when are you coming to Fox next?

Go Pats!
Joe Tall
Old 02-01-2005, 04:23 PM

Well, you are ahead of my agent, my publisher and my wife in the acknowledgements. Does that count?

I'm thinking of taking a poker day a week from Friday or the next.

If I do, I'll let you know.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:54 PM

Well, you are ahead of my agent, my publisher and my wife in the acknowledgements. Does that count?

Thanks Carl, it was my pleasure.

However, I had my girlfriend pick up the book and she called me up to tell me there are two-Jack of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s in the example on Page 29, one on the flop and one in Joe's hand. Sure enough she's right.

If you are up to Fox over the next few weeks/PM/Email/call me, I'll meet you down there.

Take care,
Joe Tall
Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Yes, sigh, I spotted this error in proofs and corrected it. Somehow it made it into the book. I'm very pissed. There are a couple of other charts where there are not errors but just weird layouts. And the card images themselves are too small. Unfortunately, we were not shown the charts laid out. Very frustrating (not to mention embarrassing). however, I just got word that this is the number 2 seller for last week for the publisher. It's been as low as 8,000+ on Amazon. In looking at sales figures, I noticed that Lee Jones' book is around 500 and Ed's is around 700 -- amazing the Jones book still outsells SSHE!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 PM

btw, the correct chart is supposed to be as follows:

The Jh on the board is supposed to be a Jc, the Ac on the board is supposed to be the Ah and the Ah in "sally's" hand is supposed to be the As.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for being tough on other authors, that's always been our stated policy. Here it is again. We hold all authors, including ourselves, to a higher standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've often wondered. Higher than what?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a request for a comprehensive review. It's similar to the "work" we all put in writing and responding to posts (or posting about poker books we own).

To act as though I'm somehow advertising or luring people into free "work" is, as I said, nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have, since the early 1980s, been a reader for a technical (computer programming, math, science) book publisher. I don't write reviews, I simply write notes in the margins of a galley proof of the book. My task is to help improve the content of the book. I think this is similar to what you are asking people to do here.

For my efforts I get a first run copy of the book with a short, personal "Thank You" from the author and a "gift" of a few hundred dollars.

Bill
Old 02-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Big difference: You do your work prior to publication; our book has already been published. Knowing Carl as I do, I can say that he is very proud of his first book and is genuinely curious as to what the more informed posters on these forums think. Curiosity and a desire to share should not be mistaken for other than what they are.