Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: 2004 TV Poker Hand of the Year. What is your pick?

My vote goes to the "Jack High" hand between Ellix Powers and Jim McManus. That was just hilarious.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My vote goes to the "Jack High" hand between Ellix Powers and Jim McManus. That was just hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
edited to give reasoning....
I think their exchange taight a lot about poker.
Namely tilt, value betting, playing against the drunken maniac, dealing with you elitist ego at the table, learning even bad players get good hands
Old 01-09-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else impressed by Arieh laying down his K high flush after murph led out with a push when he hit his boat at the main event??

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The all-in bet by Murphy was a huuuuuuuge overbet, and the board was paired.

It was a dumb move by Murphy. He could've gotten Arieh to commit a lot more on the river by betting small.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 PM

Raymer's (favored) monster draw vs. Matusow's pair of nines at the WSOP, if only for the emotional breakdown afterwards.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:23 PM

ToC, Annie with the K9 v Phil and only showing the 9. So funny.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM

I very much enjoyed the hand between Johnny Chan and Phil Ivey broadcast on the Poker Superstars Invitational. The blinds were at $2000/$4000 and Ivey, in the small blind, was dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Chan, in the big blind, peeled up 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Ivey calls the $4000, Chan checks. The flop comes down K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Ivey thinks, then bets $8000. Chan quickly calls. The turn is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Ivey checks. Chan thinks for awhile, then bets out $25,000. Ivey then does his thinking and comes over the top for $75,000. Chan agonizes for a bit, then folds. Maybe not the "Hand of the Year," but I feel certainly deserving of some praise.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:24 PM

The funniest one was Hellmuth Vs Duke. K6 against K9 "I dont think she knows how strong i am now" "I dont know if she fully understands the value of the hand"
The best was Arieh against someone who I dont remember in the main event at the 04 WSOP. Im not sure exactly how it went but I think Arieh turned a K high flush and the board paired on the river and Arieh folded. His opponent did make a boat and Arieh showed his flush. What a laydown
Old 01-10-2005, 04:43 PM

The hand was against John Murphy, and Arieh made his flush on the river. He folded when Murphy went all-in in front of him. Still don't know what Murphy was thinking there.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:58 PM

That's the hand I was going to nominate. Watching that punk bitch Matusow cry like a 3 year old made my decade. He has no class.