Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Rebuy Tournament Question

I've read that you shouldn't play rebuy tournaments, if you are not willing to rebuy. It should be clear that a rebuy is not worth as much as your original buyin, although it can still be +ev. Hence, your EV should be higher if you play 3 rebuy tournaments without rebuying, than if you play 1 rebuying and adding on, is this correct? Which option has higher standard deviation?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Tournament Question

I think its due to the opportunity cost of not being able to exploit your best +EV situations because you don't have as big of a stack as you could if you rebought. In other words, you're missing the chance to double up from 3000 to 6000 as opposed to not rebuying and doubling up from 1500 to 3000. I don't play rebuys frequently so I might be way off.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be clear that a rebuy is not worth as much as your original buyin, although it can still be +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... why should that be clear? at the very least, most rebuy tourneys don't charge an entry fee on the rebuy, so for stars $10+1 it's 11 to buy in and 10 to rebuy. also, you generally get more chips/$ for the add-on than the rebuys/buy-in. this is a good reason to rebuy - you want to stick around long enough to get the discounted add-on.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:41 PM

Large post with all the answers to this search Lori or Greg