Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Why do beginners never believe me about bankroll management?

[ QUOTE ]
I learned the hard way that playing $5/$10 w/ a $500 bankroll is suicide. I feel like I'm doing these beginners an unbelievable favor when I tell them about bankroll management. They get to learn the easy way instead of the hard way like I did, but they NEVER EVER listen.

"OMG, I'm soo mad. I was at $450 last night, but now I'm down to $250. I guess it's all good since I started with only $50."

"What games are you playing?"

"$30 and $50 sit'n'gos."

"You should really consider sticking with the $10's until you build a safety net for yourself."

"Nah, it's cool. This is how I got up to $350."

"$350 is a shitload of money for you, right?"

"Yeah, of course it is. I'm a college kid."

"Well, first of all, you're not good at poker. But more importantly, even if you were Johnny Chan, you would have over a 50% risk of ruin (insert ROR explanation here) if you kept playing the same games with only $250."

"Nah man. I've already won some of these. I would have won the last one, but some idiot went all-in with a ten jack, and he made a straight on the last card to beat my ace. I gotta move up to avoid these maniacs."

"Great story. Kill me please."

Is it impossible to get through to these people? I've had this same conversation so many times, and it never gets less painful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait til you have kids, you'll get to go through it all again! (My child is only 18 months, but I know what I was like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

There is a great quote from Mark Twain that goes something like:

"My father was one of the most ignorant men I knew when I was 18. I was amazed at how much he learned by the time I turned 25."

We could modify this for your friends:

"Justin was such an idiot when I first started playing poker. He's come a long way since I had to reload 4 times."