Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Two Pairs, Scary Flop, On Bubble (cue chilling music)

I've had a couple of hands just like this one recently and they leave me baffled.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t2003)
Button (t3694)
SB (t8205)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t3246)</font>
UTG (t7221)
<font color="C00000">MP (t5631)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t300, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t750) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets t300</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1500</font>, MP calls t1200.

Turn: (t3750) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1446 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t1446.

River: (t6642) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t6642
<font color="green">Main Pot: t6642 (t6642), between Hero and MP.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP (t6642).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP has Ts Qs (two pair, queens and tens).
Hero has 9d Tc (two pair, tens and nines).
Outcome: MP wins t6642. </font>

Even though I'm on the bubble, I think I have to play this flopped two-pair. Since the board is pretty scary, I decide to check-raise. I figure my opponent will make some play at the pot and I think the check-raise is the best way to show as strongly as possible that I have a made hand. (I realize after the fact that If I make this play, I should go all-in since my bet leaves me pretty pot committed.)

Is this the right play? Or do I pass on this danger flop (with only my blind in play) to ease into the money?

Was my opponent's call after the flop correct?

I know I have trouble with hands like this in underestimating my opponent's chances. After the flop, I'm only a 52% favorite based on his hand.

Thanks for the help!