Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2004, 02:37 AM

Default Arrrgh.

Okay, so I'm playing stud Hi, and there's got to be something that I can't figure out here.

I have Aces down and a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] up. I complete the bring in, and get raised by a T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. At this point, I figure him for Kings down (or queens or even Tens). It gets heads up on 4rd street when he checks to me and I lead out and the guy in between folds. From here on out, I lead out on every street (except the river), seeing that nothing he has can scare me, assuming that he does have a buried pair.

So, I check the river, and he checks behind and it turns out that his river card gives him 2 pair while my Aces stood unimproved.

Is this how Stud is played? I felt I had a read, and it was just slightly incorrect, but I was ahead the entire time. I check the river because he might have improved somehow, saving myself a bet if he did, and giving him the chance to bluff if he didn't. i lose the hand and several bets with it. What the heck am I not understanding here? Is it just dumb luck or am I overplaying these 1-pair hands?