Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2004, 06:09 AM

Default Another poker blog? from a beginning mid stakes player?

Let me know if you guys are interested in me posting this on a weekly or so basis. I think it will really help me to write my thoughts down on a regular basis. It's nice to get feedback from others, and hopefully writing this will be therapeutic for me in the sense that I'd be getting an audience and "support group" for my poker forays. Hopefully this will also help other beginning mid-limit players. So, a little bit of background, I recently took the jump to 15/30 HE, been doing ok, played 20 hours and am up about $4.1k. Feel like I'm on top of the world. Been playing for a few years, and just moved up to 15/30 for a month or so and have an, after 20 hours, a $200/hour win rate. Man, if that was my true rate, I'd be quite happy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's today's "entry":

for some reason tables were really semitight-agg tonight, I shoulda left, but considering I played...

this situation came up a lot.

I'd post or was in BB with a hand like 9To, or K7s.

A EP limper or something raise, and 3 callers. Call, of course, right?

Then someone to my left would 3-bet (assume raisers, etc, positions, are so that this is possible). I have odds to call again.

How do you avoid this situation? Fold knowing PF it might be 3-bet? Something I need to work on.

Anyways, just had my win rate reduced by proabbly 75%. Lost about $3k the past 2 sessions! Didn't hit any set (not uncommon, I admit), didn't hit anything with AK AQ, and lost all my high pairs QQ, JJ, TT, etc...

Went almost an hour without winning one hand. Tables were semi-tight-agg, with 1 or 2 fish but otherwise solid players.

I was probably playing -EV maybe?

Anyways, I knew a $224/hour win rate was not my true win rate. One can dream, right? I'd be satisfied with a $100/hour win rate. Oh, I usually 3 or 4 table online 15/30.

My first plan of attack is to play enough hours to get a sense of my hourly rate. Going to try and play the hours, not go for a goal like $10k in 3 months, etc.

Great article I found yesterday:
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/cpar...s.php?id=00002