Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2004, 04:30 AM

Default Bluffing in the WSOP

Last year, when I watched the 2003 WSOP, I thought it looked like a lot of pros weren't adjusting their game for the players they were playing against. I have noticed a lot of good players in games at the places I play, haven't adjusted their game for what the game is today. This year though, watching the first 2 hours of the Main Event at the WSOP, I was stunned to see some of the play by certain people. Negreua in particular. Although he did say after he got knocked out that he didn't play well, and that you just can't bluff these guys, I think it should have been something he knew during the game. Because I will not name anyone specific, I can say some negative things here. In every table they showed, I couldn't believe how amateurish the players seemed. Even in the hands not in the televised table, where we didn't get to see the whole cards, I thought the players had some pretty obvious tells. I don't know about the numbers, but I'll take a stab at this. Out of the 2600 that were in the Main Event, I'd say 1000 got in by internet satellites. I'd say another 500, at least, got in by other satellites. You had a lot of players that aren't very good. You can very rarely bluff a bad player. Yet, I saw a lot of bluffing going on, and a lot of players losing their chips because of it. Hellmouth went nuts seeing some of the fish hands people played. Why did some of the best pros in the world, not adjust their game still to the new world of poker? I hope by next year, at the WSOP, we either don't have so many amateurs, or the best adjust their game to fit the new game. I'd go into more detail and more points to support my statements, but its 3:30am. I would rather comment on other's comments, if there are any.