Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2004, 05:58 PM

Default building the pot for other players on the bubble.

I asked this once before but didn't really get much of a reponse so I thought I would try again.

What do people think of putting in small raises or limping in to incite other players to stay longer in the hand therefore increasing the possibility of them busting on the bubble or in the money.

i.e. you are trying to pot-build but *not for yourself*, simply to encourage more action by the other players.

______

So for example say there was a limper in front of you with a slightly small stack and you are in MP with a mid to large size stack. There is a short stack in the BB (with say 4BB).

Would anyone put in a minraise here with bad cards? The aim being to encourage the BB to push in.
If he does and the limper calls then it is an easy fold. If the limper folds then it is an easy call.
If the BB folds then you have position over a PF limper.
If other players stay in the hand then all the better, the pot is offering odds which will increase the probability of a showdown and hopefully a bust out.

_______

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on this. Please try not to focus on the particular example, I made it up. I am more interested in the concept of pot building for other players.
Does anyone else ever do this? I have experimented a bit with it and had quite a lot of success with it.
Is it too expensive?

Thanks

Tim