Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Turbo S+G\'s Safe bet or fun way to gamble?

Latly I find my self playing these turbo s+g's at poker stars when I have less then an hour to kill before a mtt . At 1'st I was playing the Stud/8 thinking if I have an advantage over my opponits the accelerated blind structure should not be a disadvantage but an advantage. Naturaly after playing several I look back over my results to see a horrable ITM% when compaired to the normal structured game. Granted a dozen or so games is nothing to base any life changing decisions on but there were other factors I saw reproducing themselvs that lead me to beleave the turbo structure was actualy a disadvantage.

Let's face it you can go a lot of hands befor you find good starters and we all know even if you do 4'th and 5'th streets can kill your hand in stud. Say you have to wait 20 hands befor you get a hand you can get to showdown with and play has taken at least 2 minutes per hand. Now your at leavel 4 or 5 and and can possably end up with all your chips in and get back 1/2 the pot with a nominal profit. Now you are waiting for the next oppertunity that might cost you 1/2 your chips to rag off a couple cards. Long explanation short there is no room to absorb losses on hands you don't catch.

Now hold em is a bit different in that you don't have to hold the hand to win pots. I only play hold em about 10% of the time I spend playing but I have noticed I have been considerably more succesfull in the turbo NL games VS. Stud. However I still question my real advantage in playing turbo VS. normal. After all I need to find spots where my opponit puts a lot of chips in the pot when I have him beat. When blinds raise to a certian stage post flop play where you can most confidently find these spots is replaced by short stacks making all in pre flop stands. Sure one can argue that the short stacks are going to be making stands with less then grade A hands but you are still looking at standing a lot of situations where you are only a 60/40 favorite pre flop with no post flop play. Seems to me that there is no real advantage to turbo blinds exept the amount of time you have to invest.

The real question here is. Do accelerated blind structures hold any real long term advantage for skilled players?