Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2004, 04:46 PM

Default SNG Ladder Challenge (SLC)

SNG Ladder Challenge (SLC)

Inspired by the 100 SNG Challenge and Mike Haven et al’s OIC (Open Internet Challenge), I think I’ve come up with a fun way to sharpen my chops on the higher levels of SNGs without putting too much $ at risk.

If anybody wants to give it a shot or has ideas on how to make this better, I’d be interested in hearing. I’ll post how mine goes after a handful of SNGs.

SLC Goal:
To climb the SNG ladder one rung at a time, in order gain some experience playing higher level SNGs & take a shot at turning just a few $ into big $.

SLC Guidelines:

1) Start with a separately tracked $ amount equal to 5 buy-ins at the level you choose to enter the ladder

2) When you win enough so that your SLC balance is >5 buy-ins for the next level up, move up a rung (i.e., your next SNG buy in should be at the highest level you have 5 buy-ins for)

3) When you lose enough so that you do not have 5 times the buy-in at your current level, drop down a rung for your next SNG
a. If you’re at the original rung you started at, keep playing as long as you have 1 full buy-in
b. For the truly stubborn, if you have SLC cash left but it is under 1 buy-in, play micro-limit NL until you lose it all or win enough for 1 buy-in to try again.

4) As soon as you hit your $ goal, feel uncomfortable with the size of the buy-ins, or this becomes annoying and/or a stupid way to spend your time, STOP

An optimistic example starting at the $5 rung:

I’m setting my sights on turning $30 into either $1,000 or $2000 playing all 1-table SNGs at Party.

I’m starting at the $5+$1 and will quit as soon as I make it to the $200+$15 level and either a) get my SLC balance up to $2,000 or b) win 1 $200+$15 SNG. (I may also quit as soon as I hit $1,000 and then try it again it it was fun.)

1) $30, $5+1, 1st -> $49
2) $49, $5+1, 1st -> $68
3) $68 $10+1, 1st -> $99
4) $99 $10+1, 1st -> $130
5) $130 $20+2, 6th -> $108
6) $108 $10+1, 7th -> $97

So if I'm lucky enough to win my 1st four SLC SNGs, I’ll get to quickly jump to the $10 and $20 rungs. However if I finish out of the money on SLC SNG #5, I’ll drop back to the $10 rung. (Since $108 is just short of the 5 $20+$2 buyins=$110 I need to stay at the $20 rung)

J