Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2004, 01:55 PM

Default What do The Fish Really Think When You Go Off on Them?

I originally posted this on the Mid Stakes HE forum since it was in a 15-30 game, and it was recommended I post it here.

I'm BB and I call one raise with J4h, one other caller besides me and the raiser. Bad play #1.

Flop comes A-3-9 with one heart. I check, MP checks, raiser bets, and I call (why? I'm not sure), back door flush and back door straight draw????, MP folds.

Turn is a non heart 5. I check, raiser bets, and I call. What is going on, have aliens taken over my body? I haven't made this bad of a play since before I read my first poker book. I didn't raise once to try too take it, I just called. Anyway.....

River is a 2, giving me a miracle straight. I check, and raiser checks. I turn over my straight, he shows A-10, and now starts questioning me, talking crap, talking about my mortgage and how I'm not going to be able to pay for it, and basically berates me like I have caught myself berating bad players in the past.

Here's my point though. I know it was a horrible play. I can't explain it, I have no good reason for it. But here's the thing. I didn't care that he was chastising me, I was laughing, at HIM!!!! It was beautiful. I didn't even feel bad, I felt good that he was po'd!!!!

Think about that next time you want to go off on a weak player.

I swear, I don't know what came over me. I guess it was a moment of tilt. Thing was, I was winning a little bit, it was early in the night, and I have no explanation.

Oh well. I hope it doesn't happen again. Just thought I'd give you all a look at things from the "other side". It's scary over there.

-PG