Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2004, 01:25 AM

Default Heads-Up NLHE Hand

Hey all,

Despite all of the alleged fascination with heads-up NLHE around here, there aren't many posts to show for it. So, I thought that I'd toss a hand out, just for the hell of it.

The scene: the aftermath of a $0.25/$0.50 home game that was basically me and some friends drinking and messing around. It got down to three-handed, then I busted one guy on a "badass" river check-raise after having flopped a boat. But anyway, so now it's down to me and one other, and we agree to take everything but $25 off the table and play HU.

The opponent: in short, a non-serious player who is generally a little loose and a little passive, but pretty decent HU. More detail... Not "knowledgeable," but far from clueless. She is a reasonable hand-reader and is capable of making some pretty good plays based on her read (e.g. calling down with a small pair if she puts her opponent on a draw/bluff). She is a fan of slowplaying/trapping. She sees me as being loose and aggressive and doesn't like my bullying her. As a result, she will (often correctly) make a stand against me with some flimsy holdings (but, this lets me bet many more hands for value).

The hand: We've just begun a few minutes ago, and I can't remember who was up a dollar or two at this point, so we'll call it even. I am the SB/button and raise to $1.50 with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. My opponent calls (as she would with most anything playable, even as little as Q7o). Flop comes:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My opponent checks, I bet $3, my opponent thinks and calls. $9 in the pot; turn comes:

6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

She checks, I think for about 15 seconds before betting $5. She thinks for about 30 seconds as I play mind-games with her. She eventually calls. $19 in the pot; river comes:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My opponent goes all-in for $16.50.

Call or fold? FWIW, it is unlikely (but technically "possible") that she has a 5 here.

This might be one of those hands where it's impossible for anyone not in the hand to give really good advice about the river, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it anyway. Thoughts on other streets? I think that the turn is pretty interesting and that I might have butchered it...

I'll give my thoughts later. Thanks in advance.

ML4L