Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Calling an all-in with a big draw - Live no limit in Vegas

Goooooooood game. Player to my left is somewhat of a wildman. He would raise anywhere from 2$ to $20 about 35% of the time preflop. Post flop he'll bet with anything and everything, especially if he had raised preflop. Having had a run of luck in the past, his wild nature had been paid off, but by this time his luck had been changing and he was down to less than $50. Other than him, most of the players are passive and predictable.

Blinds 1-1-2. I had 5s4s in the BB. Wildman is UTG and makes it six to go. SIX players called and I ponied up the extra $4, EIGHT players in the pot.

Flop came 467 rainbow. No one seems very interested in the flop cards. I check, wildman goes all in for $25, all fold to me, I call. I figured...

1. I might have the best hand with a pair of fours.

2. I might win the pot by making my draw (with as many as 13 outs, 8 straight cards, and five two pair/trips cards).

3. Given there was $48 + $25 = $73 in the pot, I was getting about 3:1 on my call.

4. Since he was all in, beyond the flop betting was not an issue.

5. The combination of all of the above factors made calling the right play.

Comments?

al