Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Do YOU call this all-in based on the read?

The usual, Stars $11 rebuy--the tourney that is rapidly approaching it own forum status [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. We are in the third hour, blinds are 600/1200 100? ante. I have been hovering around the 17000-20000 mark for an hour, falling further behind the mean total with each passing orbit. A player that I had played the first 90 minutes with is moved to our table, 3 seats to my left, and this is good for me, as I have a very specific read on him. The read is as follows: pre-flop with a fair amount of money in the pot, either from several limpers or one raise, this player went all-in. A lot. I had seen him do it a minimum of 6 times, and the one time he was called he showed something along the lines of K6s. So I was waiting for him.

I get dealt 88 in EP and open raised to 3600. One caller, and right on cue Mr. All-in obliges, going all-in with a stack slightly larger than mine. I "know" this is a move on his part, and I push, about 16000 to call a pot of about 24000. First caller folds, it's me and my buddy,

Hands are revealed and I am happy to see he has K9s. But he wins the coinflip, drawing a K on the flop, and then a 9 on the river just to be annoying, and I would have had to go home if I had not already been there.

While I did not really regret the call, I later began to wonder just how wise it was, even given the read I had. On the one hand, it was getting close to the time I had to do something, and winning that 40000+ pot would have put me in nice position.

On the other hand, it does seem like I volunteered for a probable coin-flip at best situation before I had to. Even given my read, it was likely he had at least one overcard, and two was more likely. In addition, it was not impossible he had an actual hand. There was, of course, also the matter of the other caller, who got out of the way.

So my question, obviously, is, given my read, do you call this all-in with 88?
Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Doug

As I typed and proofed this post I thought it more and more unlikely that this was a good call on my part, so let 'er rip.