Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2004, 06:44 AM

Default here\'s my own crazy brutal honesty

i have mentioned in other threads (here i think, and ML forum) that i have undergone some wild swings lately.
yes, it's supposed to happen...especially when one takes up playing full-time (as i did a couple months ago) but almost everyone would agree i think that my swings are not 'normal'.

i play a fairly aggressive game at 2/4 and 3/6 and i've been working on dialing it back a couple notches by asking some questions in the ML forum and looking over HH's and further studying the game.

how this relates to the psych-forum is interesting i think.

it is 'possible' that i was playing a lousy game all the while and was just running extremely lucky.

but what i really believe happened is that i got so used to pushing my opponents off of hands in situations where it was proper to do so that i started to overplay hands far too aggressively and chase down with not nearly enough of the board to warrant it.

in other words....my super win-streak led to a transformation of my game and i have been tilting away without even realizing it.

here are the raw figures....please bear in mind that i am playing 3-4 tables at a time so i am getting in roughly 10k hands per week.
for an online player, i believe these numbers are pretty extreme....but for a B&M player they will look insane and impossible.
but at 10k hands per week i am probably playing about 8x-9x the number of hands a B&M player can realistically play in a week.

4-5 week hot stretch (45k hands):
about +1000 BB's
capped by a +$1100 win a couple Friday ago (200 BB's)
this monster day was also the last day of my win-streak for the most part.

last 2 weeks (20k hands or so):
about -350 BB's

further details - on the day when i won over $1000 (by far my best single-day result ever) it was one of those 'can do no wrong' days.....virtually EVERY pocket-pair was hitting trips or boats.
there was one situation where i got pocket 2's on different tables about 15 minutes apart....and both of them turned into quads....and both of them were paid off decently by someone else's full-house.
i hit some other nice hands where i dragged huge pots.

my losing stretch,as expected, was not entirely bad play.

AA has actually been losing money during that streak.
earlier today i lost with KK to AA 3x.
i had AA busted on board of KJ84Q by a guy who stayed in with Q8. naturally i was pushing the hand hard all the way but he was there to call every raise.

you know the drill....just the worst of the worst beats over and over a lot of the time.

anyway, the bad-beats made it harder for me to consider the possibility that my game was not as good as it once was.

if you lose 100BB's in a day to some really awful beats you know that a 100BB set-back is supposed to happen every once in awhile and you also know that you caught some of the worst beats you had experienced in a long time so you're not really worried about it.

then, after another 100BB's over the next few days you start to wonder what's going on here.

and then you realize you don't have as much of an idea how to play over-cards anymore...when to push, chase or give-up...etc etc.

even with the crappy losing-streak, i posted a decent winning month for May. a little rake-back and a couple of bonus re-loads helped to boost that as well.

June is off to a losing start but it's only a couple of days in...i am 'starting over' in a way. re-dedicating myself to continual study of the game so i don't lose touch with correct playing style again.

if i have to fring away at the 1/2 and 2/4 then i'll do that...although it has not quite come to that yet.

anyway, that's my story up to this point.
thanks for listening.