Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Starting up a home game conundrum

Hey all, I have finally mustered up the resources to start up a home game at my new house. I have 1000 chips and a 10 person hold'em table on the way, and have begun putting out feelers to friends whom I think would play. I plan on starting off as a low-stakes game and hopefully can raise the limits a bit as people become more comfortable with playing in the months ahead.

My conundrum is this: in the process of contacting people, my brother, who has been a chief supporter of getting this game together, mentioned that he would like to invite his wife to play in this game. Now, my sister in-law is a great person, but I'm not sure I (or others, for that matter) would be comfortable playing poker with a pregnant woman on what is historically supposed to be "guys night out". Wondering how to handle this situation. Am I being a misogynist? I wonder how this game could be taken seriously outside of a small inner circle if a pregnant wife is allowed to play (again, my plan is to expand to a full 10-person bi-monthly game at some point). How do I balance the gaining of credibility amongst serious players without being an a-hole? Thanks.