Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2002, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Type A personality/need advice

The three part series began in December 27, 2001.

So that the context is clear, I will insert my remarks directly into excerpts from your text IN CAPS. Please don't regard it as "shouting." It's a standard editorial procedure.

You wrote: But, like you said, I'm so competitive, I wanted to win it back and I wanted it NOW. I think this type of thinking is what got me in trouble, twice. I AGREE. YOU MUST ALWAYS FOCUS ON YOUR EV now. (WHEN I'M IN CAPS, LOWER CASE MEANS EMPHASIS). YOU MUST IGNORE OR MINIMIZE WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY OR LAST WEEK.

I don't think I would have make the same mistake if my bankroll was 3000 and I lost 300. But, when I lost almost half, I start to get impatient. BUT THAT'S EXACTLY THE WRONG TIME TO MOVE UP. THE DATA SAID THAT YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG (OR THE POKER GODS DON'T LOVE YOU). YOU MOVED UP WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE MOVE down. THE DUMBEST WORDS IN POKER ARE: "I'VE GOT TO GET EVEN."

However, I was wondering what others suggested on how to get my bankroll big enough for 3-6. Im thinking about just not playing for a while and keep studying, at the same time working to save enough to play safely ($1800). MINIMUM BANKROLL REQUIREMENTS APPLY PRIMARILY (SOME PEOPLE WOULD SAY ONLY) TO PEOPLE WHO CANNOT REPLENISH THEIR BANKROLLS FROM OTHER SOURCES. SINCE YOU HAVE A SOURCE FOR FUNDS, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE $1,800 DOLLARS. THIS POINT APPLIES ONLY IF YOU CAN KEEP COOL AND FOCUS ON YOUR CURRENT EV. IF YOU CAN'T DO SO, THEN YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CERTAIN NUMBER THAT WILL BE LARGE ENOUGH TO PREVENT YOUR BECOMING EMOTIONAL. IT IS not A MATHEMATICAL ISSUE. IT'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL ONE.