Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2002, 04:19 AM

Default How do you advise my son? Long

My son started a regular home game with some colleagues from work a while back, a game that he sensibly nurtures to death. Last weekend he was hosting so I hung around to watch how he plays.

The lineup was typical: a loudmouth, a bully, a nervous-nellie type, a jock-leader type, an ass-kisser and a superviser. And my son, who taught them the basics of the game. He's the guy they look to when a fair decision must be made over a hand. He also passes them the ranking of hands once one of them gets confused with what beats a straight.

So the game proceeds, dealers choice $5 maximum bet with four raises.

I'm proud of my son's game selection skills. These guys really stink.

After a couple of hours someone deals Omaha/8. First position opens for $5 and all call to my son who pops it $5 more. Call.

The flop is AQ3 no diamonds. My boy's holding 5d4d3h2s. From here on in each betting round was capped. No folding in this game by God! The turn was 4c. The river was a 5.

As he had done everytime somebody dealt O/8 my boy said, "Just put your cards face up on the table. Don't screw up by misreading your hands." His tone suggested he had said this many, many times before. He showed his hand and announced "Nut low, baby straight for high." Somebody asked, "How do you reckon?" My son did the A2345 thing, pointing at the combo that worked. Disgusted sighs as cards went into the muck and my boy started dragging in a pretty nice pot.

The bully suddenly said, "Hey, you had a higher straight," to the jock-leader type. "You had a 76, right?" The jock said, "Damn, Jesus. That's right. How could I miss it!"

The bully looked at my son and said, "I saw it, give him half the pot."

My son said, "I didn't see it. He mucked his hand before I was finished explaining my hand."

The bully said, "You think we're lying?" My son said, "No, not at all. But the rules are that if you muck your hand, the hand is dead. That's why I always tell everybody to show their hands down."

"Just give him what you f**king owe him," said the bully who was a big loser that night and was also a bit drunk. All eyes were glued on this unfolding drama.

My son gave the nearsighted moron going for a 76 low half the pot. And struggled not to steam for the rest of the evening.

I gave him my own advice later on but the night is still eating at him.

So what would you tell my son? Appreciate any and all comments. Good luck to you all. LTL