Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Did I make the right move?

Ok guys, a newbie in the world of NL hold-em tourneys here wondering if I made the right move . . .

This was my first tournament, started with 19 guys and I was in the final 4. I had about 12k in tourney chips, with the blinds at 5k and 10k (I was by far the low chip guy). I was on the sb with 3-3. First two players fold, and I went all in with my remaining 7k. BB called (it was only 2k to call for him) with a K-J offsuit.

Of course, he hits a J on the turn and I'm out in 4th place.

My thought was that I probably was not going to see a better hand than a small pair in the next 3 hands, and I was going to have to go all in when the bb got back to me in 3 hands.

In hindsight, I wonder if it would have been smarter to either fold the 3's or just call the bb, so that I could stay in a little longer hoping to get a good run of cards, or more likely, have one or two of the other players get busted before I had to go all in so that I could move up to second or third place. There was not a huge difference in money between second and third place in this tourney, but hopefully I'll get to the point where I feel comfortable playing in ones where there is more money involved.

Did I make the right call, or is this one of those things that there is no real right answer and you just have to play a hunch and hope it works out.