Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2004, 12:44 PM

Default I\'d like to discuss how to play marginal starting hands in EP/EMP

I'm only 3627 hands into my fledgling poker career, but I feel like I'm starting to get a real grip on the game - with the help of these forums and the 2+2 books.

That said, I need advice on how I should be playing some of the more tricky EP/MP starting hands. For those familiar with the HPFAP rankings I'm referring to mainly the group 4 or 5 hands, some of the unsuited gaps and medium pairs. I've basically realized that I don't feel like I have a solid strategy for playing hands like AJo, KJo, QJo, A9s, KTs etc.. and ohhh let's throw in 77 and 88 for fun.

I don't even think I know where to start with hands like these. How many limpers should I count on to limp with some of these hands (and if someone could throw in some math to back that up I'd love you forever.. I like math...)? Should I be open raising some of them from LEP/MP or should I just limp them? What about the A9s and KTs type hands, where it's easy to flop an over card and have a kicker right in the middle? If I don't flop a flush draw, straight draw or some otherwise decent hand (ie top pair or second pair) I've generally just been tossing them unless odds justify seeing the turn.

Any help would be much appreciated, or if you could even reference some reading for me (I own WLLH, TOP and HPFAP) I'd be very greatful. I think these hands are a major leak in my game and probably in the games of a lot of beginners. I for one, would like to plug it!

Thanks for any help.