Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Omaha 8ob tournaments.

I am in the process of learning to play Omaha 8ob, I found that watching tournaments from start to finish observing each board, determining what the nut high and low hands were after each card, and trying to figure out what the players were betting with was good practice.

I also entered a few low buyin tournaments myself.
The first two tournaments, I went out quick, I could make a case in my mind for playing virtually any hand I was dealt
(with a few exceptions like 9992), because I could recall a hand where it had been the nuts. I would would win some monster hands, but then quickly lose it back.

It then dawned on me that a lot of the other entrants were playing the same as I was, they seemed to be in every pot, their chip counts fluctuated wildly, and ultimately they busted out during the 3rd or 4th level.

I decided that the next tournament, I would be a rock.
I have never folded so much in my life. For the entire tournament, I think I played 5 hands outside of the blinds. The big and small blind hands connected enough to keep my chip count steady.

I soon found myself at the final table, but well below average in chips.

At the final table, I did not play a hand outside of the blinds, and watched the other short stacks bust out one by one.

I ended up third out of 51, and was roundly complemented for playing a 'good game'.

I did not mention that I was a total novice at this game, and really had no grasp yet of the finer points.

Did I stumble across a viable strategy for placing high in Omaha 8ob tournaments?

I doubt I could ever win one playing this way, since the chip differential at the final table was so great.

Gewürtztraminer