Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Kick Ass No-Limit Holdem

There is a thread on RGP about a book called "Kick Ass No-Limit Holdem Poker". I found the website to be interesting and so I bought the e-book. So far, I've only read the first few chapters and I like it.

The main emphasis (in the early chapters) is that the relationship between the stack size relative to the blinds is very important. According to the book, you should play differently if the average stack at the table is very deep relative to the blinds versus if the average stack sizes at the table are very shallow relative to the blinds. Old commonsense knowledge except that the book has some very cool names (IMO) to describe these different "strategic and tactical terrains".

When the stacks are deep relative to the blinds, it's called a "Guerilla terrain". You can play a lot of hands if you can come in cheap because the implied odds are very good.

When the stacks are shallow relative to the blinds, it's called "kamikaze terrain". You basically move in or fold because a raise can get you pot committed.

Everything in between is called "siege terrain".

I haven't read the rest of the book yet but I'll give you guys a review once I get to them. Stuff to do with "strategems", "tells", "enemy stereotypes".

From what I've read so far, I recommend the book. But I've got to read the rest of it first before I can give it a rating. I was very intrigued that the author, Kaizen Nguyen, claims to be a neurolinguistics expert. This is a science that is known for making people better readers of body language.

In summary. I recommend "kick Ass No-limit Holdem Poker".....so far.