Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2004, 10:04 PM

Default two all-ins on a flush draw

I'm slowly learning this crazy game, and I feel like all-in play is something I'm still struggling with. In both of these hands, I ended up making the flush and looking like a clever gambler, but I wonder what the consensus is. The game is 2/4 NL, $200 max.

Hand #1

Most players see the flop for one bet. Board is
A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I'm on the button holding J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Lots of action on the flop; it comes around once with two raises, I call; it comes around again with two more raises -- a total of three different people have raised the pot, and just before I act, cutoff player has gone all-in. At this point, I have $120, and there is approximately $370 in the pot.

My spot conclusions -- three different raisers means that none of them are on the flush draw, therefore my hand is good if a club comes. (I know that trips reduce my chances of winning with a flush, but in the heat of the moment I couldn't recall the exact numbers.) Furthermore, my assessment of the other players is that at least one and most likely both will join in the fun, giving me better odds.

As it turns out, all four people ended up going all-in. Two flopped straights and one flopped two pair. Two pair does not make a boat, club falls, my hand is good for a $700 pot, and my move is much discussed in the chat area afterwards.

Hand #2:

I'm in the cutoff holding 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Many players see the flop for a $4 bet, I limp in.

Flop is:
T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to a weak mp player, who makes a moderate bet. An extremely aggressive player, who likes to bluff and is on a short stack, makes it $50. I'm next to act. I've got about $140, initial better has me covered, short stack has about $40 left.

Noticing my pair as well as my draw, I immediately decide that I've got the odds and go all-in. MP better calls, short stack folds (!). Club comes on the turn, and my hand is good.

MP had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]