Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Reference to good players -> bad beats?

Greetings. I'm an academic psychologist working on a paper on decision-making, and I want to make reference to a poker concept.

The idea is that good players are more likely to experience bad beats than poor players. The reasoning, as I understand it, is that good players are more likely to have the odds in their favor, and so when they win it's more often just because the odds play out as expected, and when they lose it's more often due to a bad beat. Poor players are more likely to play long shots, and so they are more likely to win a long shot via a lucky draw.

Any ideas where this might appear in print? Basically, I just need a reference to some poker book that makes this claim so I can cite it as one of my references. I'm fairly certain I've read this in a poker book somewhere, but I've been looking for a while now and I can't find it. It may have been Ciaffone's "Improve your poker," but I can't find the reference to that concept in his book.

A couple of other questions:

1. The term "bad beat" in poker, as I understand it, doesn't mean quite the same thing as just bad luck. You can be dealt poor cards all night, and that's bad luck, but it isn't really a bad beat. A bad beat is when you have the best cards, but your opponent draws a lucky card or cards and wins the hand. Do I have that right?
2. Do most of you poker experts agree that this is basically true, i.e., that good players are more likely to experience bad beats?
3. Do you think this phenomenon is true more generally in life?
4. Is there a term for the opposite of a bad beat? Good beat? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance.