Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Pushing against Big Stack

Hi all, this is a question that bothers me from time to time.

10+1 SNG, 5 left, blinds 100/200. Stacks: 5000, 2800, 2500, 1800, 1200. Sadly, I am the 1200.

Getting A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on UTG+1, problem is: big stack is right to the left of me.

As a short stack, I think I must go in. But if big stack is ready to call me with almost anything pre-flop, wouldn't it be better to just raise min., get the blinds out (UTG already folded), and try to push it on the flop? I think I might have a better EV that way, because on the flop this guy folds many times if he didn't hit (and of course, he's just an example here. Many players act the same).

In the situation described above he called my all-in with 44. Flop: KQx. I think I could have pushed him out by betting my rest T800, say, there, if I wasn't in already. And that would be the case with many other flops. But since I'm all-in, I'm going to bust about 50% of the time, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Well, what do you think? Still for the all-in? What are your thoughts regarding going-in as a small stack against different kinds of big stacks?

PrayingMantis