Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Do you make this call?

It is rather late in a $20 5 person SNG at TGC. 3 people left, all in the money. 3rd place basically gets buy in back minus the rake. 2nd gets $10 more and 1st gets $50. Blinds are at 80/160 and I have about T1700 in second chip position by just a bit. I am in the BB and look down to find

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Both opponents limp in. Flop comes

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. I bet T160...mistake?
Button raises to T320
SB folds
I call (I guess I was mezmerized by the straight/straight flush draw along with top pair which really didn't mean much)

I felt at this point that I was pretty much pot committed with only about T1200 left, a pretty good hand to draw to, and a pot that could move me into good position to win the thing. Wrong thinking? Comments.

Turn comes out a Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] For a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board

I am thinking that I have all kinds of outs here.
Any 5 (4) (one of which gives me the straight flush)
Any T (4) (same as above)
Any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11) (am I miscounting here?)

I bet T640 (should I have went all in and gave my opp. something to really think about?) leaving me with just under T600 but it does double the minimum bet. Enemy just calls.

River brings the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] putting nothing on the board and a dagger through my heart [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I decide to try and fire out a bet in the hopes that my opponent was betting on a lower pair that he caught and hadn't improved. This was the most likely scenario in my opinion. Turns out I was partly right.

He calls and the cards turn over to show his QJ offsuit for the top pair and takes it down. No, I don't know his motivation for the calling and raising before the turn. He was the top stack with about T2400 or so before that hand. I ended up winning the tourney after a KK all in on my SB the very next hand put me back in the race. Second position guy was eliminated two hands later when my blind steal attempt with K10 was called by his 88 and a K comes on the turn. So I went into heads up play with about T1900 to opponents T3100. Heads up was pretty uneventful with me taking the lead on a TT against his AJ that didn't improve and me doubling through. 3 hands later it was over so I ended up pretty happy but that hand bothered me and I wanted some opinions.