Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Moving in with a four flush on the flop

I've noticed on PokerStars NLHE tournaments that a lot of folks move in with a four flush on the flop. Sometimes not even the nut flush draw. Most of the times this fails, but, of course, it just worked against me (grrr).

Am I missing something? Specifically, is there something about NL tournament play that makes this more valuable than in cash limit games (where most of my experience lies)? Or is the flush draw just too tempting to most suckers?

Details (obligatory bad beat story): I have 1475 in chips, he has 1155 in chips. We are both short stacked at this table and in the tourney. 75/150 blinds. My table image is tight aggressive, but we've been moving people in and out a lot. I could be seen as tight passive by some, but I've made a few plays to keep in the black with cards that have not been strong (no pairs over 6, best hand so far: AJo).

Me on BB: Ad Tc. CO raises the minimum, I call (should have raised? moved in? I think he would have called anyway, because I'm seeing now he felt desperate -- beware the cornered animal).

Flop 9c 4h Ac, and I move in because I'm pretty darn sure he doesn't hold an A. I'm right. He holds 5c Kc, the nut flush draw, and calls. Not a call I would ever make -- he still had 1100 chips left in late position. I guess he had already decided he was going to make his stand.

Turn Ah, feeling a little happier. River 7c. Somehow, I can believe it.

www.PokerCalc.com says I was a 3 to 2 favorite pre-flop, almost 2 to 1 on flop (13 to 7 when he called). And it's worthless to note I was better than 5 to 1 ahead on the turn.

Typical bad beat. No need to comment on that, although sympathy and contructive suggestions are always welcome.

I'm most interested in my question: Is there something about NL tournament play that makes a flush draw more valuable than in cash limit games?