Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Pot Odds are killing me in Party Tournaments

Simple example, that is happening left and right in the 40k on PartyPoker. This is an example I made up but it's literally straight from about 20 hand histories I have. The time of the tournament will be semi-early. I'll be at 945 chips out of 1000 starting chips. I'll get 78 offsuit in the BB with blinds at 10/20. UTG+2 will minraise to 40. Cutoff calls. Button calls. SB Calls. It's back to me to call 20 into a 180 chip pot. Harrington says to call any two here, right? I'm getting 9:1 correct?

Okay. I call. Pot at 200.

Flop: 5 6 A rainbow.

SB checks. I check. UTG+2 bets 40. (Pot 240) Cutoff calls. (Pot 280) Button raises to 40 more to 80. (Pot 360) I call the 80 thinking UTG+2 isn't the type of player to repop and I'm getting 4.5:1 with a lot of implied odds. He just calls the 40 more (Pot 400), probably with a marginal hand. Cutoff calls as well. (Pot 440).

Turn: Q.

I check. UTG+2 checks. Cutoff checks. Button bets 80 again (Pot 510). I call 80 into a 510 pot. UTG+2 and Cutoff finally fold.

River: 7

UTG+2 bets 80 again. Now I know I'm beat and I fold.

Is this an inescapable situation? Should I re-raise in these situations, even though I know I'm drawing to 8 outs?

The last 10 tournaments I've entered I've lost a good deal of chips in an early level in the BB because of a donk minraise where I flop a hand that can rake in a lot of chips. Is this a fold preflop? I really, really struggle with this. If I get lucky and hit I can win a nice sized pot. But I end up calling all the way down getting unbelievable odds.

I've lost 260 chips in the early portion of a tournament because of a simple manuever by UTG+2 to raise it 2x the BB.

Is this just a simple case of poker. Do I have a huge leak here that I need to wake up to before I start playing tournaments again on Janurary 2nd? Help, help??