Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Limp-Reraise with AA/KK in EP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I understand you. If your stack is let's say $700 in this game (sort of typical) and your limp reraise fails (the pot is six way for about $50) you need to be really careful postflop when all you have is an overpair. When you get postflop action it's often going to be action you don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

IOW you might bet the flop (except atrocious flops such as JT9 two-tone) and get away from substantial action.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But let's say with $700 you either raise to $30 or $40 or limp reraise. If your raise gets called in five or six spots you aren't getting away from too many flops, the pot is too big (about $250) relative to your replaceable stack (in the Commerce game you can buy a max of $600 after going to the felt).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you limp in and get outflopped you lose $10, or maybe $60 if you bet and fold to a raise. By raising preflop and refusing to let go of your hand, you lose $700 when you get outflopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how often are you going to be outflopped and drawing nearly dead (to a set) when the pot is this big (after a raise) relative to your stack? Problem of course is any reasonable sized post flop bet tends to get you pot stuck.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A limp reraise usually narrows the field more, but if you didn't push everything with the limp reraise you are usually pushing on the flop with your remaining chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you limp-reraise you are generally going to be putting in 20-30% of your stack preflop. No hand is correct to call you even if they get the rest of your stack 100% of the time that they outflop you. Your opponents will either correctly fold and let you take down a couple hundred dollars of dead money with no risk, or they will incorrectly chase without proper odds. You win either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point with these parameters. I need to limp-reraise a bit more, but make sure I get away from the failed attempts (since the pot is small).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I know I'm missing something so it was a dumb question. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your input.

~ Rick