Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Default How to play sets (new here and to limit)

I'm new to playing limit and a first time poster, so be nice. The thing I'm wondering about here is how to play sets on the flop? Do I just push and keep pushing? Here are two differnt hands from Party .50/1 10 handed:

Hand 1:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

2 Questions here, should I limp UTG with 66, it's right on the line for SSHE depending on table. Once I've limped to I call the raise? It's down to heads-up so the pp should win often unimproved, but I'm OOP against a raiser and will have to fold to high cards and might be over-paired. Is 1:4.5 good enough odds to set a flop or fold with a low PP?

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Now I've set my hand, do I push and keep pushing hoping he has a good J or over pair? What do I think about the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s? I can't take away the pot odds to calling with 2 spade overs (if he thinks hitting the overs are outs). I just call to try to trap a little.

Turn: (3.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Now things go nuts. We cap the turn. Do I keep pushing here and bet for value? What is his range? AA-JJ, QJ, AQ, KQ AJ, KJ?

River: (11.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Ok, that could complete a straight, but with the capping on the turn I doubt that. Do I keep pushing the edge or slow down here? I'm still not sure how strong a hand has to be to cap it.

Hand 2:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

The 10 is dangerous but even if someone has the straight I still have the set to out draw them, it's probably worth a call?

River: (23.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Hmm, fairly weak card but the action on the turn was dangerous. Do I bet out here for value?

Thanks for the help. (I know there are other things I should work on but these stick out because they have the biggest swings on my stack).