Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Someone threw me curveball

I was recently in the tightest poker game I think i've ever played in. It was 1/2 limit hold 'em, where the play is usually pleasantly loose. I've played online 2/4 and live 3/6 before, but this table was tighter than any i've ever seen. Just to give you an idea, the average pot was hovering around $5-6, at one point dropping to $4.60. After about 45 minutes I realized how unprofitable the play here would be, but decided to stick around anyways for good practice. The players were all fairly experienced, so I felt like it was a good preview of tighter 3/6 or 5/10 tables (if I ever make it that far).

For the hand in question, I was on the SB with A10. It came to me unraised with 4 other players in the hand. Sensing weakness I decided to raise, because I had been projecting a very tight image the last hour (folding to blind steals, playing few hands). Everyone called as I expected. The flop came rainbow undercards, and I fired according to the plan. Luckily everyone folded but one guy in late position, who I had mentally noted as a solid player. So I figured him for overcards too, but no better than mine. The turn came a 6, a brick and useless card for the board, so I fired again. I felt like he should put me on a high PP at this point, so I was a little surprised when he just called me.

The river brought a 2, another useless undercard. There was no flush, or obvioius straight showing, so I greedily bet the river. He called and turned over 65 offsuit.

My immediate reaction was pretty predictable, although after about 10 seconds of thinking about it seemed like just a great play to mix in, so I congradulated the guy. It wasn't until a little later that I started thinking about the outs he had off the flop (no straight draw), and my outs to catch and beat him on the river. Understandably, he initially called only 1 bet pre-flop almost assured that the blinds wouldn't raise, and my raise getting 9/1 on his money.

The thing is, I see that this guy worked a tricky play like that to success, but I can't imagine any situation where I could expect to consistently make +EV on a hand like that.