Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: To libertarians / Rand clones

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, by what specific mechanisms does war improve the economy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep using the word "war" when I keep addressing "World War Two".

[/ QUOTE ]

So, World War Two was not a war? If it was, in what magical way was it different from other wars? How about answering this question then: By what specific mechanisms did World War Two improve the economy?

[ QUOTE ]
I have briefly and accurately explained, using statistics and standard economic indicators, how World War II pulled us out of the Depression and led to sustained economic health and growth. Not "war", but World War II.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. You haven't explained anything. You've waved your hands about and asserted that World War Two inproved the economy. I asked by what mechanisms it did so. See, that would constitute an explanation. Your argument is akin to seeing a pot of water sitting on the stove. Some ice cubes are dropped into the pot, and later the water boils. "The ice clearly made the water boil!" you cry. Absurd say I, providing an explanation of how ice can't make the water boil. You then provide me with temperature data from before the ice was dropped in and afterward, as though the two different temperatures explain the boiling of the water!

[ QUOTE ]
However, you refuse to accept GDP, GDP per capita, inflation, unemployment, technological efficiency, the growth rate of technological efficiency, national income, gross private investment, and consumption expenditure, as any indication of economic health and growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

For reasons that I have carefully explained and you still continue to ignore. I ask AGAIN: If I hire all the unemployed and put them to work printing dollars that I then pay them with, leading to low unemployment, increased GDP, and inflation, has the economy been improved or helped? If not, how can you POSSIBLY claim that such meaningless aggregates are an effective measure of economic health?

[ QUOTE ]
You also imply that the removal of "Raw Deal" policies was what brought us out of the depression, but refuse to elaborate any further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I move on to that when we're stuck on the point where you can't propose any mechanism whereby World War Two could possibly have been good for the economy, nor can you refute my arguments that it could not have been.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while merely displacing production from consumer goods to military "goods." You have not refuted ANY of
these points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't need to refute it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant! "I can't refute it, so I'll turn my nose up and claim I shouldn't have to."

[ QUOTE ]
Any intelligent person can surmise that the abysmal consumer good production during the Depression was displaced by an uncomparably greater amount of (necessary) military production, not an equal amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then "any intelligent person" should be able to propose logical economic mechanisms to show this. Which you apparently cannot do.