Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 PM

Default drawing with two pair in huge pot--a mistake?

I feel my preflop call was okay with two limpers, and when it was raised behind me, I was involved a huge pot. I reraised on the reasoning that
a) I would only win this pot by completing a draw, and
b) if I did hit my draw, everyone else would likely have hands that were very slim to beat me. Therefore I raised to increase their pot odds after the flop and keep them in the hand while building a pot that would be a monster if I won it. I believe this strategy is somewhere in ToP, but I couldn't find the page number.

Reads: BB 45/6/1.2, MP 69/10/.6, Button 36/0/1.0, other positions had just joined.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (24 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Hero calls.

River: (17 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Jh 5c (full house, fives full of threes).
Outcome: BB wins 18 BB. </font>

I believe the flop call was borderline--with a 5 or an overpair out against me, I'm only a 22:1 dog to see the next card, but with a 9 out, I'm drawing to a split pot, giving implied odds of maybe 3:1 (15-18 bb split pot to 2.5 bb to call on three streets) on what amounts to a 1-out draw. I'm wondering about the turn call, as well. If one of my opponents has a 5 or a 9, I'm not getting the correct odds to draw at 10.5:1. Finally, I figured on the river I was certainly done, as one of my opponents must have either a 5 or an overpair.

So my analysis is pre-flop and river played correctly, flop borderline and turn a mistake. Comments?