Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: #1 advanced concept I wished I hadn\'t learned

[ QUOTE ]

You cant analyze a situation by thinking things like, "how often will he be dealt AA UG vs AA on the button". We have more information than that, we need to incorporate it. We know that, once we see a player raise UG, 52% of his hands will be strong enough to call. Vs. a button raise, which he will only have a calling hand 25% of the time.

So, although the number of times he will be dealt a 'calling hand' is technically the same. For all intensive purposes, he is 2x as likely to have a calling hand UG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. My point was that especially in the early stages of low buy-in tournies, many players' opening ranges are not so dramatically different UTG versus on the button. I was cautioning OP that he shouldn't simply say, "That raise is coming from the button, I'm pushing any 2, he'll fold 75% of the time". You need to observe the player and get a sense of what HIS opening range from the button is, not what it would optimally be or what yours is.