Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Obsession with value bets (Warning: Long)

I have recently been playing a lot of heads up SNG's. This type of play really exposes value betting for me, and my weakness at it. Just like you said, I was betting too small, ensuring I would get called, then I would pat myself on the back and say, good job for getting paid off. you just turned a 2000 pot into a 2600 pot by betting that 300 on the river. Way To Go!

And then i started losing. I find that overbetting, rather than underbetting is a better strategy, bc not only will they call a certain % of the time, but overagressive value betting affects your opponent in the inverse way. He will be afraid of the river raise (which is, I agree, almost never used), and some opponents shut down value betting altogether. They only bet when they have the nuts or are on a bluff, which is strange to me. Its like, when they dont know with 100% certainty whether or not they want to be called (I could just as easily be talking about me at certain times) they simply dont bet. This is amazing, its the beginning of weak tight play, and something that happens much more often live than online (unless you can convince somebody that the site is rigged and that they will get sucked out on, which actually works on occasion). Anyway, theres my .02