Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Barron\'s article on slowplaying top set

On the whole, the play in this hand isn't that interesting. I agree that top set QQ on a disconnected, rainbow board and a smallish pot is good to slowplay.

On the other hand, Im an increasing adherent to the belief that "fastplay is the new slowplay", meaning if you play big hands fast, you tend to get more action than you would if you slowplayed them.

Admittedly, sometimes, if Barron bets this flop, he wins a small pot only. OTOH, particularly against aggressive or tricky opponents, fastplay will get you more than slowplay will. A lot of these opponents will checkraise the flop if you bet and lead the turn, allowing you to raise.

The fact that K2 made two pair on 4th street seems to me to be more coincidence than anything else.

Also, consider that if K2 had been raised out at the flop, this pot could potentially have been heads up on the turn/river, and god knows how many bets middle set would put in.

I probably play it the same as Barron, but overall the play in this situation is subject to debate.