Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Default How to bet against passive players?

I am considering how to bet against passive opponents and what modifications you should make to optimize your play. And how you will have to change your betting. I'm looking for other peoples opinions about my ideas. I play hold'em so that's the game my ideas are coming from.

I am thinking about not trying to bluff passive players very much. First of all you tend to bluff in position when your opponent checks, but against a passive opponent he may have a larger range of hands with a check. He could be holding top pair. So you are not gaining as much of an advantage by seeing the check before you bluff. So you might bluff closer to frequency of bluffing out of position?

Here is the next thing: semi bluffing. Why semi bluff when you are likely to see a free turn and river? When you do draw out here is where you make a big pot, because he was sitting with a hand and not betting, but now you have made a very strong hand. Bet hard.

Same with mid/low pair which you might bet on the flop. If you can check it down to the river why not? No need to build a pot. I guess you might be 'protecting' your hand against two overs by betting. I am usually betting with the idea that if I get a call I'm beaten, so it would seem to be a semi bluff of sorts.

Of course when you make a good hand, might as well bet since he probably won't.