Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: $33 AK... Missed Flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With only 715 chips at the start of the hand you should just shove that preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There's hardly ever a reason to open push with >10BB.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have enough chips to make a continuation bet after the flop when you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you do (see villain's action), and so what if you didn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Pineapple. Thanks for the comments.

I continue to disagree and here's why. In this particular situation a raise of, say 125-150 (fairly standard preflop raise amount) will take you down to around 575 chips. At that point you have got a stack JUST big enough to maintain fold equity if you let this hand go. So if you choose to c-bet a standard amount on flop (another 150-175) you are down to 400-425 chips. This is a small enough amount that it seriously reduces your fold equity in level 4 (as compared to around 575). That's why I don't like playing this hand with the intention of c-betting. Your stack after the c-bet isn't enough to continue beyond the current hand, so you effectively are playing for your whole stack at that point anyway.

715 just isn't enough IMO to dick around in level 3 because you risk getting crippled. The only way I support the 150 raise is if:

1. There are limpers who may call your raise. Then you are actually playing for TPTK value if you get 2+ callers, and you can abandon the hand with 575 chips left if you face resistance; OR

2. The guys left behind you have been observed to be tight and you can reasonably infer that they will fold to a small raise as often as a push; OR

3. You are comfortable checking behind on the flop if the caller checks to you because you believe you can get him to bluff away a chunk of his stack on the turn or the river. I often make the 125 preflop raise with this in mind, as opposed to a c-bet.