Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: if God exists outside of time + space...how can?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A computer programmer has no trouble interacting with a computer simulation despite existing outside it, so why should it be a problem for god?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an moronic response. The computer and the computer programmer exist in the same dimensions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, Chez's answer is by far the most insightful one here, but it is apparently lost on you. I can create my own "universe" in n-dimensional spacetime (not nessisarily 4 dimensional) on a computer. In principle (if the computer memory is big enough), life could evolve in this "computer universe" and have arguments over the existence of a creator. The creator (me) would have no problem halting and inserting "miracles" into the program -- i.e. events that do not follow from the programmed "laws of physics" and initial conditions alone. In fact, it is impossible to rule this out as a possibility for our own universe, and you can even point to evidence for something like it if you can find a miracle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a response even more obtuse than Chez's. Awesome! What are you going to do, program the big bang? I would like to see that. Maybe it's already happened, I thought it was a virus but now I am seeing spaceships coming out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes -- the big bang (in a suitable theory free of singularity) represents the initial conditions, and the laws of physics evolve the system forward in a well-defined way. The analogy is, in fact, perfect. The fact that you personally do not understand it does not effect the power of the argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you don't get what I am saying, Metric. The question was if god does not exist in our space/time than how can he communicate to us? Chez said a computer programmer can communicate with a computer. But both the computer and the programmer exist in one set of space and time. Hence the analogy is misguided.

Your softverse is just as misguided. Your softverse would constitute a set of 1's and 0's existing the computer, in other words either non-randomly aligned pieces of iron on a memory device, or a series of circuits that are either on or off in a powered CPU. But the CPU (or floppy disk) still exist in the same set of space and time as the programmer.

God you are right, I really don't understand it, do I?