Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Using the \"Dope with a rope\" strategy in the BB (Blind defence)

Afternoon,

I've been thinking about changing the way I've been playing post-flop when I've hit part of the board. Ok, lets take three common examples:

1) You in the BB vs an aggressive player at the CO.

You have 75s in the BB. CO raises, you decide to call. Flop T 7 3. You check, CO bets. In the past I've used the check-raise the flop strategy and then lead the turn. But I've been wondering whether against an opponent who will bet for you that you should take the check/call check/call then bet the river approach (aka Dope on a rope strategy?)

2) Same hand against a passive / calling station. CO raises. He probably has a premium hand like AK, AQ etc and I suspect he probably has missed the T 7 3 rainbow flop. Do I do the betting for my opponent now here? As he is passive should I be testing this opponent and betting the flop? He raises I'm pretty much done with the hand if I don't improve on the turn.

3) Aggressive player raises and I call with 75s in the BB. Flop K T 7

This flop is much more dangerous now. Do I try and test my opponent here, or do I just check/fold since there's so many dangers here (top pairs, straight draws etc?)

I know this is quite the sketchy post, but I'd like some feedback on how to play the three hands in regard of my opponent and flop texture... I've been a "test the opponent" kind of player. Now I feel that I should be "sometimes test the opponent, sometimes let him bluff opponent" kind of player.

Steve Griff

P.s - I don't want any discussions on whether you should call a raise in the BB with 75s against a passive or aggressive opponent. I just picked that hand out of my a... erm head.