Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Default The Road to Success

Firstly, I would like to get my apologies out of the way. If this has already been covered or I'm posting this in the wrong place ect, ect, this is my first post and I apologise in advanced.

I started playing hold'em a few years ago on-line and did quite well on the micro limits (NL $10 buy in) tables. Looking back I now know that this was due to getting a lot of good cards and definitely not my playing ability. At that time, I went onto a couple of site's and they recommended 'Lee Jones, Winning Low-Limit Hold'em' as a good book to start with for the noob. I read the book, tried to apply the concepts to SSNL games and lost, and lost, and lost. My luck had finally run out and I was the ATM machine. I stopped playing for a couple of years and I've only started to think about playing again because a poker room has opened near me recently.

I've entered a couple of SNG and I'm going to enter my first tourney tonight. (I except to lose, that's fine, just testing the water). So onto the reason for the post, I have devised a plan to get my on-line poker playing career back on track and however this time I want to succeed, be profitable and know what I'm playing at. The plan is called 'The Road to Success', if their is anything seriously wrong with this, any pitfalls I may stumble on, your feed back would be greatly appreciated.

1. I'm currently reading - Matthew Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em - Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro. (I know this is an entry level book into limit hold'em, however I hope this will give me a good grounding in basic strategy, the fundamentals, what I need to be thinking about ect..)
2. I'm then going to read - Russell Fox's Mastering No-Limit Hold'em. (This is the only book I could find that is specifically written for low limit no limit hold'em)
3. I'm then going to open an account at Party Poker (they have the softest games, from what I can tell) and start with a bankroll of around $350 plus a sign up bonus, ect.. I should be on around $420.
4. I'm then going to install poker tracker or pokeroffice and away I go. I'll start playing on the $25 buy in's tables and hopefully make some money.

My biggest concern is, how many hands do I need to play to know if going to be a winner or a loser!!! Also, should I use poker tracker, or poker office?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again, I apologies if I went on a bit!