Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2005, 06:06 PM

Default What Schools Need is a Moment of Science

Title of post stolen from a bumpersticker on evolvefish

This is realy a sad commentary on our society. A couple of weeks ago I helped my parents move out to Provo, UT from the Washington DC area. We rented a big truck and my Dad and I took turns driving. My dad brought a couple of books for the downtime and I did not. So I hijack his copy of "The Ancestors Tale" by board favorite Richard Dawkins. btw, this book offers an amazing comprehensive view of evolutionary theory and anyone who is interested in this stuff will get alot out of this book.
Anyways, the day comes when Im going to fly back home and I havent finished the book yet. Were in Salt Lake City doing some sightseeing before heading to the airport and I see a Borders book store and decide to run in and grab another copy of "The Ancestors Tale" to finish up. And here is the point of my post. I ask the lady in the store where the science/evolution section would be and she takes me over to the one bookshelf that holds all titles on physics, chemistry, biology, math, etc. One bookcase maybe 8 feet high, 6 feet wide, with 5 shelfs. To top it all off on those shelfs was an extremly limited range of books. Hawkings "A Brief History of Time" was grouped together in like 5 different places. Dawkins "Ancestor Tale" and "Blind Watchmaker" also grouped together in like 3 or 4 different spaces. So they provide a limited amount of space for the science titles, but even that is too much space so they have to repeat and overstock the few popular science writers. Now what really pissed me off was when I looked around and noticed at least 5 times as much shelf sapce devoted to Astrology, Mysticism and other nonsense, not to mention the religious books section which dwarfed both. This depresses me greatly and I hope that the location, right across the street from Temple Square, is the explanation.
Back home in Baltimore yesterday I decide to do an experiment and walk down to the Barnes and Noble. They were slighlty better than the Salt Lake Borders but not much. Science is still the overwhelming minority to completly absurd explanations of our world. Bibles alone took up more than twice as much space as all Science titles.
Stuff like this along with Americas schools falling behind in math and science, and a President who declares the jury still out on evolution really makes me pesimistic as to our countries future.