Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Default short stacked PLO

i have been playing a lot of short stack PLO lately and was wondering what adjustments others make when playing like this.

i have not played as much PLO as i have other games and my strategy is fairly straightforward. i play tighter than i do with a big stack and raise a lot less with the small stack. my main goal is to get my stack in against one or two (or sometimes more)opponents with a large equity advantage.

i dont worry as much about protecting my hand as i do with a large stack and focus more on getting my money in when i have a good equity situation with a big draw/made hand. if there was going to be more money left to bet id obv have to be more careful with this.

im not quite as careful about position as i am with a full stack since my hands are generally easier to play out of position since i am often all in on the flop. i check raise more as i dont think the risk of giving a free card is quite as disastrous, since my plan is to see all 5 cards and need to show down a winner and check raising is often the best way to get it all in with a big hand against multiple opponents. although, if a sizable pot has been created preflop and i am able to bet the majority of my stack i will often do so.

bluffing plays a small part of my overall strategy since i dont have the ammo to follow through, but if a good situation arises i still go ahead and fire. bare ace type bluffs often seem unprofitable without the risk of continued aggression and the threat to the opponents entire stack so i find they must be used more carefully.

like any poker strategy exceptions abound but these are some of the adjustments im makeing. is anyone else playing PLO with a short stack, and if so, what are you doing differently?
matty