Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Are the ROI\'s in the FAQ really attainable

Also moving up limits may prepare you mentaly for the sums involved.

A bad day in the 100s especialy if you play alot of games is going to mean swings in the 1K+ ball park.

I once lost 2k+ in one day in the 100s,even though less than a week before this I had won slightly more in one day, that loss, hit my psyche like a hammer. I went on a massive tilt afterwards and it turns out that day and that loss is the defining moment in my poker career.

Running V bad is tough enough let alone haveing to deal with a massive loss in $ terms as a consequence. The abilty to deal with the swings at those limits as well as actual raw poker ability is essential if you want to avoid my fate.

I made a fast rise to the 100s. Playing about 3 months at the 30s and 50s repsectively, I was allways BRed to play at each limit including the 100s, but had not played enough games to experience realy bad variance. I got my education into the realities of poker when I hit the 100s.

My advice would be find a limit where you are comfortable with the swings and play at that limit till you experience your first 15/20+ buy in drop. Once you have stared into the dark heart of poker and are sure you can live with the consequences of its frigid beats, then you can climb the upper echolons of the poker ladder.