Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Some trouble I\'m having with WA/WB, weak A OOP

Haven't posted in forever, and please forgive me if there has been a change in the 2p2 standard line here since I stopped reading as avidly as I did this summer.

Anyway, the ol' check/call, check/call, bet line with a weak (or even strong) Ace OOP vs. a PFR has been giving me fits lately. Specifically, everyone, TAGs and LAGs included, has been checking behind the turn rather than checking the river. This costs me a bet when ahead, and also creates the interesting decision of whether to bet, hoping he'll try to pick off a bluff, or check and induce a "value bet" on the river. I've been betting and they've been folding, although it is quite possible they have nothing worth showing down or betting.

Here's an example (this is all 6-max but I don't know how much that matters).

TAG (2p2?) raises UGT, LP in MP calls, I call in the BB with A8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Flop is A72, 1 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, raiser bets, LP folds, I call.

Turn is a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4BB's now. I check, he checks.

River is a blank, I bet, he folds.

I realize that this will happen, but it's been happening so often over the last few thousand hands that I feel that betting the turn is better. But then that raises the question, what do I do when raised? And should I induce bluffs on the river or bet? (thinking as a default, I realize that a lot of this is player dependant when I have a read)

Finally, is it better to bet or check the turn in a hand where the flop is (as a default, obviously the player matters):
1)A72
2)AQJ
3)A98, flush draw possible