Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Sony CDs Rootkit Your Systems (Bad news)

[ QUOTE ]
i think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face here

[/ QUOTE ]

Astroglide,

I understand your reasoning. Both positions strike me as rational.

I am worried about worldwide corporate hegemony. At some size X, corporations get to rewrite many of the laws in their favor. At the top of those corporations are still highly fallable people, many of whom demonstrate megalomaniac tendencies and a lack of empathy for others in this man's opinion. I am most concerned about toxins in the environment (the real ones like organic mercury, not the tree-hugger ones), loss of privacy, and people wasting my time. Time and a body are all we get: I value those assets very highly.

I do not want those corporations controlling my privacy or invading my private life or wasting my time. If I could, I would ban most of the information tracking and trafficking that goes on. A boycott of Sony in toto sends the message that messing with my privacy and my property has consequences. Posting on this message board helps to magnify my statement - likely not enough to tickle the beast, but perhaps so. I want these companies to think long and hard before blithely attacking me. Anyone who, for their own gain, slips malware on my computer (and it IS malware - just the increased vulnerability to hacking is enough - if someone passed out keys to my house would it seem innocuous?) attacks ME. At the least, it wastes my time looking for it and removing it.

If I owned Sony stock I would sell it for the same reasons. I vote with my wallet. If Sony came out with something spectacular, it's a simple decision of utility vs anger.