Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Help me take this pot

This occurred on the bubble of a 20+2 tournament. Villain in this hand has seen me open three times this orbit:

First hand, blinds 250-500, I raise to 2000 from late position against a limper. BB calls, limper calls, flop comes rags. Checks to me, I fire another 2000, BB calls, limper folds. Turn is a rag, check check, river is an A, checked to me, I bet half the pot and take it down. (I had KQ, but didn't show it).

Several hands later, with blinds at 300-600, the button open raises to 3x, I jam from the BB and he folds (had QJ, but again, didn't show).

Next hand, I raise to 4x from the SB and take the blinds (had AJs, but once again, Villain didn't see).

Now, this hand occurs. There ~70 players remaining in the tournament, with 60 getting paid 3x the buyin. Villain and I are both in the top 5 chip stacks, he may even be chipleader. I've seen him call a 3x raise from UTG and fold to a pot-sized all-in on a rag flop, and I've seen him check his BB against a limper, and then check-raise all-in on the flop. He made his big stack by raising to 3x with AK and calling a fairly large re-raise all-in.

Here's the hand:

9 players at the table, folded to me on the button. Blinds 300-600, I make it 1800 with 55, I've got T21000 behind. SB (T16000) folds, BB (T32000 after posting) calls.

Flop: T3900 in pot, flop AJ9r. Villain leads for 1200, I call.

Turn: T6300 in pot, turn comes another 9, completing the rainbow. Villain leads for 1800, I pop it to 6600, he calls.

River: T19500 in pot, Villain leads for 2900, I pop it to 10K, leaving 7500 behind, he's got about 16000 left if he folds.

So I think Villain is screaming weakness all the way, but I'm not sure how best to take it away from him. I feel like I was just kind of throwing money at the pot without representing a clear hand or putting too much thought into what Villain could have.

1. Does anyone disagree with raising Villain's blind in the first place, or with my read that he is weak? (FWIW, I don't think this guy is good enough to feign weakness in order to encourage me to come over the top).

2. If you agree that this is a stealable pot, what would be a better line than the one I took? (No need to jump up and down about how poorly I played it, I'm well aware, but I'd really like to know what I should have done).