Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Dog Dilemma (negotiating advice needed)

A lot of larger dogs like shepherds die in 7 or 8 years. Not always, but it's far from uncommon. The doc when talking of averages if of course including the chance that your dog will be one of those that actually lives longer than 10.5 years. But my family has had lots of shepherds, and a number kicked off around 8 or 9 years. It's entirely possible that you will not reach that relatively happy average.

I understand the sentimental value completely, but just want to mention that you may be talking about an ownership cost of about a grand a year for his company before you even consider his upkeep and vet costs at all. If I were making tons of money, I'd be as happy to blow it on the happiness of a dog who was a good friend as on any other type of happiness, but when you add food and vet bills for an older dog in, which can be quite substantial, along with ownership cost, you're actually talking about a fairly expensive proposition.

If you're going to buy him from the frat, I would try to not make them fixate too much on your emotional attachment to the dog, or they won't take a penny less than max value, probably. Telling them that his life is half over -- and the cheaper part by far, as well -- and that you should only pay half price sounds both fair and sensible. Remind them that if you aren't the owner paying the vet bills soon, they themselves will be, and what they look forward to now is losing money on the dog, not an investment that will need negligible maintenance. His bill, so to speak, is not paid, but starting to come due, and if you take it off their hands, they can spend their money on a new dog that will be healthy for a long time instead of throwing it down a well on a dog's later years.